Friday, July 21, 2023

 Do you ever wonder who you are?

"Who am I?" Is a question I ask myself in the mirror often

But I never get a response 

The mirror is murky and dirtied

My nuanced facial expression was in distaste

No matter how much I tried to rub it off, it's still dirty

One day, when I stroked the mirror, it cracked

I decided not to try cleaning it anymore

And I stared at the dirt on the mirror

I thought I hated it, but I liked the dirt

One day, I asked in the mirror "Who are you?"

I saw someone else in the mirror

Someone who looked like me

Someone who had an empty reflection 

Someone who was a beautiful me

I wanted to be like the person I saw in the mirror

They wanted me to be like them, too

Everyday, I talked to the person in the mirror

Their words made me feel docile

Everyday, the dirt on the mirror changed patterns

But the person inside the mirror stayed the same

I couldn't stop staring 

When they spoke to me, I thought about what it'd be like to be them

To become them

Myself is a nauseating and repulsive mess of nothingness

I have no reflection.

I see my shadow.

And it speaks to me,

It said to me, 

"You're not you. You're me"

I see it smile. A beautiful smile,

and I want to be just like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment